In Reality

A work in progress...surely you will see lots about chickens but the story expands quickly :)

Saturday, May 19, 2012

COWS?

On my way to work Wednesday I went to the community mail building to see if the flyers I had put up had been taken down.  Much to my surprise they were still there.  Flyers, regardless of the information on them, Lost, Found, Services usually are torn down within a few hours.  It seems some of the residence don't like them even though we have very large boards to hang them on.  I mean very large, there is enough room for the entire community to put up their very own flyer.  On one of my flyers someone had written a little note.  It read "What about cows?  We should be able to have them".  No signature, just that statement.  Well, this comes as no surprise, well maybe a little.  I was expecting a piggyback in for form of goats or perhaps donkeys, but not cows.

I left the flyer up for a few days and then replaced it.  In the back of my mind I'm thinking are we even zoned for cows?  I couldn't imagine our community with cows.  I guess some of the residence may feel that way about chickens but the two don't really compare.  Theoretically you could raise a chicken in your house.  You could never do that with a cow.  I have read about miniature cows that are more sustainable than a normal size cow because they need less feed to harvest. This reminded me that I need to be focused on pushing my agenda and prepared to let others like this "cow" person know that they are free to submit a change to the covenant, however my submission will be for poultry.  At the meeting I will ask for suggestion on my wording for the covenant change.  I would like it to included ducks and possibly turkeys as the county does.  I did have a fleeting thought that if there was a piggyback, and I could convince them to include a caveat that voting either way included a yes for chickens, I might be open to it.  Now I start thinking like a politician.  Yikes.

We are zoned for cows.  Our lots are zoned as RA-1 (Residential Agricultural-One) (Minimum 5 Acres)
From the Elbert County Zoning Regulations, The maximum density is one (1) animal unit per one-half acre. 
One (1) horse, mule or bovine = 1 unit
Five (5) sheep or goats = 1 unit
One (1) swine = 1 unit
One (1) Llama = 1 unit
Two and 1/2 Alpaca = 1 unit
Two (2) ostriches = 1 unit
Four (4) miniature horses = 1 unit
Elbert County Zoning Regulations -141-

Wowzer!  I could have 10 cows.  If I was a goat lover (they are really cute) I could by zoning regulations, have 50 goats.  And wouldn't 10 ostriches be fun?  Or I could mix it up and have a little of each and have a regular petting zoo!  Goodness.  Ok so zoning regulations aren't all practical for a covenant controlled subdivision, even in a rural area.  Five acres is simple not enough land to raise 5 horse on.  Our covenant allows for 4 and those who don't rotate the grazing areas or adequately supplement feed quickly have barren fields.  

Getting back to CHICKENS...
POULTRY, FOWL AND SMALL LIVESTOCK (NONCOMMERCIAL)
Domestic, noncommercial use of poultry or fowl shall include, but not be limited to: chickens, turkeys, pigeons, small birds and ducks.  Small livestock shall include, but not be limited ti: rabbits, chinchillas or similar animals.
RA-1:  A maximum number of fifteen (15) poultry and/or fowl and twenty-five (25) rabbits or other small livestock shall be allowed.
These are the Zoning Regulations pertaining to chickens. In my proposal to change the covenant my original thought was 4 hens, but then I read that having eight chickens is best because it will allow you to build your flock slowly so when the first hens you bought retire, you still have room to buy new ones without having to kill your old gals. Chickens have a life span of around 10 years and only lay eggs for 2 to 3 years.  Having the option of having up to 8 chickens gives you the possibility of always having some layers.
As for rabbits.  I already have more than 25 rabbits on my lot - without trying.  Rabbits are very dense in this area as are deer.  

1 comment:

  1. After doing more research, I have decided not to include any other fowl to the covenant change, just chickens. Ducks and turkeys are noisy. Maybe at a later date, but for now I want to keep it simple. Just Chickens. Just Hens.

    ReplyDelete