In Reality

A work in progress...surely you will see lots about chickens but the story expands quickly :)

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Some chores may be best left to the better half...

Today I pulled up my big girl pants, started up the ride on mower and attempted to enjoy the day and get some mowing done.  I remember being excited to have a ride on mower, it was fun to have something to ride around on.  It was like a grown up toy.  That is until you realize you actually need it to do a chore that you're going to have to do over and over.  A chore that is likely going to take a few days to finish.  Yuk!  That's not fun at all.  Regardless I climb on the mower now wishing it was much bigger and mowed a path about 4 feet wide.  In fact as I'm spending about an hour on this machine I have discovered many enhancements I would have included had I designed it.  I should perhaps explain that the area we mow is 5 acres.  It's not flat, it is in what they call the High Plains so sometimes it is dry, mostly it has the climate of the semi-arid desert complete with cactus and yucca plants.  We do our part to remove the cactus and are beginning to work on the yuccas.  There are trees here and there, hills, driveways, seedlings and all sorts of miscellaneous goodies. In other words we are not mowing a well groomed lawn, it is the prarie.

This first enhancement I'd make is some way to ensure I could mow a straight line because I'm sure the aircraft pilots are wondering what kind of code I'm trying to send up by the weird shapes I'm making in the fields.  Doesn't this machine come with a grid?  And what about wildflower sensors?  Our cars can sense the curbs and bikes behind us why can the mower avoid the cute patch of wildflowers just ahead?  And watch out for that little baby bunnn......y  Whew, he got away just in time!  And just who designed this seat?  Ours is about two feet away from the wheel and the whole thing bounces like crazy.  Give a girl some shocks to reduce the jiggling!  Gees, even my cheeks were jigglin' (all my cheeks :) ha ha).

I found myself fantasizing about how I would design my perfect mower and all the different components I'd include... then I caught myself put the damn thing away and went to my garden.  I'll leave the mowing to the better half.  Chances are he is not designing a new mower when he rides it, he's probably happy he's not pushing one.  Perhaps he's designing a new wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment